February InnerFidelity Update
My CES is now: a week of prep; a week at the show; a week prepping photos, video, and writing it up; and then a week of follow up letting people know about the articles and requesting review samples. I enjoyed it in sum, but it was a bit of a trudge. OTOH, it's given me food for reviews for a good long time to come. In that regard, CES lasts all year long for me. Hmm ... it's what I'm about now ... and I guess I'm fine with that.
Because of CES I didn't get a lot of headphones measured, but because of CES I did get some very interesting headphone measurements. You'll find the new measurements in the updated "All Graphs" pdf, and as individual sheets on the Datasheet Download Page.
- Two more LCD-3s were measured, and I've got one or two more on the way, so I'll have at least five sets of measurements for these cans. I think this is important because of some controversy around manufacturing consistency of the drivers. Got to say they're looking fairly consistent so far.
- I've received four of the new Philips headphones for review and now have measurements for the: Fidelio L1; Fidelio M1; Citiscape Downtown; and Philips O'Neil Bend.
- The new Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 made their way through the lab. I found them a bit harsh and lacking in the low notes. Bummer.
- Ran the new Sennheiser Amperior through its paces and it fared well. Looks quite close to the HD 25-1 II, but sounds better to my remembrance. Gonna have to get my hands on a current HD 25-1 II and Adidas version for a comparison.
- Finally got a chance to listen to and measure the Sol Republic Tracks. Sigh. Really missing the highs. Plenty of bass, of course.
- And last but not least by a long shot, Head-Fier pbandstefanwich sent in some Stax Lambda SB headphones with passive transformer box, and a pair of the Grado Magnum V3 with some really cool Cocobolo wood cups made by Marty. Both were measured, but sadly I didn't have any listening time. (Sometimes I just gotta keep moving on.)
I'm gonna do the LCD-3, dammit! I've got four here now for listening tests, and that starts tomorrow.
Other than that, you can look at the list above and make some guesses. Basically, from here on out, I'm going to be trying to get all the slots filled on my "Wall of Fame." Lots of good headphones will be reviewed for the next 6 months or so.
Headphone amp measurement routine progress will be reported as well.
Been a weird winter here in Montana. We've had more days above freezing than below ... that's unheard of. Poor skiers.