InnerFidelity September Update!!!
Summer's a beautiful thing in Montana, it doesn't last long enough, though. September is here, and the fall weather is starting to show up, believe it or not. Ah well, more time inside the house measuring headphones I suppose.
Speaking of which, lots of new cans, and some interesting things upcoming!
Last Month's Measurements
Had a very interesting month measuring headphones. Aside from those in reviews, new measurements include:
- The Soul by Ludacris SL300, SL150, and SL100 are all measured. They seemed a bit better than the competition from Dr. Dre.
- The Beyer T70 250 Ohm, which didn't sound very good to me.
- The new HiFiMAN HE-300, which didn't either.
- Got my hands on a couple brand new Fostex T50RP planar-magnetic cans, they measured and sounded okay, and I'm gonna modify one until it's Smeggerific!
- A little batch of full-sized sealed cans: the Denon AH-D1001, which is interesting to compare to the Creative Aurvana Live!; the terrific price/performance Sennheiser HD 201; the not-so-good Audio Technica ATH-M10; and the even worse Klipsch Image One.
- On-ear cans measured include: the venerable, great sounding, and often requested Koss Porta Pro (KSC75 measurements next month); on a whim the Audio Technica ATH--ES55; and the big surprise, the very nice Beyerdynamic DTX300p!
- And a handful of IEMs got in: Woodees Classics; Skullcandy Holua; Shure SE530; a new one to me PureSound ClarityOne; the Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3; and the very good sounding Klipsch X10!
Lots of stuff in the pipeline coming in for measurements. Some stalwart enthusiasts are banding together to get me some electrostatic headphones for measurements and an amp to borrow for a little while to get them done. Very cool, and VERY much appreciated! Thanks guys!
You'll notice the Ludacris cans above ... I've decided to do a major article on celebrity headphones since they're all the rage. Upcoming measurements will include: the Beats by Dre Solo HD, Studio, and Pro; a few of the House of Marley cans; I'm hoping to get my hands on the new Koss Tony Bennet headphone; and, though not in this month's update, I can tell you the new Skullcandy Mix Master measures extraordinarily well. I'm thinking of calling the article "Celebrity Headphone Deathmatch."
I'm trying to find the time to do the final burn-in test. I'm talking with SAS (a member here) who will be helping me with some of the experimental set-up and data analysis. I'd really like to do a 300 hour run ... that's about two weeks in the chamber. I'm going to try very hard to get that done this month or next, and will try to make sure nobodies headphones are sitting here for measurement when it happens. (Crosses fingers.)
This marks five months of InnerFidelity's life ... and mine. I feel very fortunate to have this job. It can be a bit of a juggling match trying to get headphones in, measured, possibly written on, and back out, but I'm enjoying every minute of it. I hope you are too.
My management has been REALLY great about letting me write whatever I want ... as long as it delivers pageviews. Traffic grew 30% last month, and the numbers are somewhat higher than we expected. It looks like InnerFidelity is well on the way to paying for itself. Thank you!!!
Though I don't get evaluated on them, they do matter very much to me, PLEASE feel free to make comments on InnerFidelity posts. They're great feedback for me, and very often the information is a super addition to the article. A big thank you to those who've commented, I really appreciate it.
Guess that's it for today, have a great September!